9-11 Logan Street is a one and a half acre parcel with two brick, post and beam, multi-story structures located at the edge of the Historic District in Auburn, NY. The two brick structures were built in 1879 and housed The Auburn Button Company and The Logan Silk Mills. The large buildings were typical of the masonry buildings that housed many of Auburn’s manufacturing plants at the turn of the last century. Sometime in the late 1880’s, The Wegman Piano Factory started to manufacture pianos at the building. It was this last manufacturer that the buildings are most commonly associated with and to this day the structures are known as The Wegman Piano Factory. As it stands today 9-11 Logan Street represents one of the few historic sites if its kind that survived the era of Urban Renewal.
Logan Street, LLC has rehabilitated 9-11 Logan Street and the surrounding area (i.e. courtyard area, and parking area). The development consists of the rehabilitation and conversion of the two unproductive, unoccupied industrial buildings into 35 residential loft flats and townhouses. The residential units range in size from approximately 600 SF to 1700 SF and contain seven (7) two-bedroom townhouses; 21 two-bedroom flats; six (6) one bedroom flats; and one (1) three bedroom townhouse. Each unit features a custom made kitchen and bathrooms handcrafted by Bartolotta Furniture, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. (For more information about Bartolotta Furniture visit bartolottafurniture.com).
Several key issues were addressed in trying to determine how to restore this historic site. Very few of the original windows remained so the restoration included the replacement of nearly 300 windows with new, double-hung, aluminum-clad, high efficiency windows manufactured by Marvin, which are near replicas of the original windows. The project has maintained the original stairwells and elevator core. The existing post & beam structure, a feature found throughout each of the buildings, have been left exposed. The buildings’ industrial appearance has been preserved, which serve as a reminder of the building’s original use during the industrial era. The ceilings have be left at the original height (12 to 14 feet) throughout most of each of the residential units. The original solid maple factory floors have been sanded and refinished. The interior brick walls have likewise been refurbished and preserved. The main lobby is referred to as the “piano lobby” because an original Wegman Piano, manufactured at the site in the 1880’s, has been refurbished and located in this main lobby area. Overall, the renovation was designed to be neat, clean, and simple in keeping with the original industrial aesthetics of the structure to preserve the buildings for generations to come.
The Logan Loft site is strategically located within two blocks from downtown Auburn and adjacent to the City’s Historical District. It is within three blocks from the major arterial roadways which run east and west through the heart of the City. The location of the site will enable residents to walk downtown to patronize the local restaurants and retail establishments or take in a show at the Auburn Public Theater.